Our History

history of Temple Beth Or

Temple Beth Or has been a proud member of the Bergen County Reform Jewish community for nearly 50 years! Since our establishment on Chanukah, 1958, our Temple has been a community where families and individuals join together to worship, study and celebrate the rich traditions of our Jewish heritage.

With great excitement, we welcome our new spiritual leaders, Rabbi Noah Fabricant and Cantor Sarah Silverberg. Our growth and development continues, fueled by the important contributions of Rabbi Fabricant, Cantor Silverberg and our Director of Education, Anat Katzir. These knowledgeable, articulate and energetic individuals are committed to developing a partnership with the congregation, and they share our dedication to Temple Beth Or’s promising future.

Rabbi Emeritus H. Philip Berkowitz, retired from this pulpit after 28 years of service to our community, began in July 1975. Under the spiritual leadership of Rabbi Berkowitz, a sense of family belonging was created for members of Temple Beth Or, building upon his emphasis on the role of Rabbi as teacher, pastor, counselor and friend. He and his wife, Nancy, now live in Kennebunk, Maine.